Elitist Titles

Work in Progress
36x48


Notes From the Loft Studio

Lately on FB and other social networks I've been noticing that a lot of artists I've never heard of except on FB are calling themselves "master artists". Is this a marketing gimmick or something else? Hubris in the extreme? This art looks average to me. I have been a painter for a hundred years or so and I consider myself to be a student. To me a master artist is someone like Daniel Greene, Albert Handel or Richard Schmidt. These people are not in that class.It seems ridiculous to call yourself a master artist unless you are one and considered so by a majority of art lovers. What is wrong with being a student of painting. I'm not ashamed of that at all, in fact I'm honored to study painting and hope I get to for the rest of my life.

I think there is a problem with inflated egos in the world of art. So many painters are afraid to be less than stellar that they pretend to be what they are not. There seems to be a lack of genuineness and humility among us and it often makes us look pretty silly.It seems to permeate all areas of painting. It shows up at workshops and classes with students trying to tell instructors how to paint and in exhibits with painters telling curators that their work is superior to others and should not be hung with lesser painters.

If this is the new trend, it sucks..Lets just get to work in front of the easel and stop trying to be something we are not.

2 comments:

David King said...

I think your post is right on target Linda. This seems to be a growing epidemic in the world in general but especially in the art world. Humility seems to be going the way of the hula hoop. All artists need to remember that no matter how good they might be they can't hold a candle to the true master artist....Mother Nature.

Linda Blondheim said...

So true David.
Love,
Linda

Henry the Studio Dog

Henry the Studio Dog
Studio Dog Wears his Fashion Accessory